This is a fabulous opportunity to work with one of the world's leading providers of complex engineering solutions. This PE-backed organisation is going through a period of significant growth and is looking to hire a UK HR Manager to support a colleague group of 200.
- Burton on Trent
- 2nd February 2021
- Up to £50K
or call our Hampshire office 01962 432001
Reporting to the General Manager with a dotted line into the HR Director, the HR Manager role will lead the HR function to ensure that it provides strategic and operational support to the business to help it achieve its objectives.
You will develop the HR service delivery model in line with best practice and ultimately add value wherever possible. You will develop the Company’s organisational design to ensure that both permanent and contingent workforces are well aligned with the needs of the business, Another key focus will be to drive employee engagement and a culture of high performance throughout the organisation.
As HR Manager your key responsibilities will be:
- Provide strategic direction and leadership on the development of appropriate HR policies across the organisation
- Assess current and future policy requirements to support strategic aims in conjunction with the UK senior leadership team
- Research best practice to enable the best design of the Company’s UK policies
- Project manage the implementation and review of HR policies
- Provide strategic oversight and direction on remuneration policies, benefits and practices
- Monitor employment legislation developments, assess the impact on the organisation and develop policies to maintain legal compliance
- Provide direction to managers and employee groups to foster effective working relationships and enable appropriate change
- Ensure appropriate employment conditions and provide support to Company’s UK colleagues deployed on international assignments
- Oversee activity relating to employees working overseas and ensure that assignments are compliant with local immigration, National Minimum Wages, Working Time Directive and Posted Workers Directive and tax legislation.
- Provide direction on employee engagement so that the organisation regularly measures and responds to employee feedback to improve the organisation as a place to work
- Work closely with the general manager and business unit managers, providing expert guidance, coaching and support on the full range of HR activities (including terms and conditions of employment, recruitment, employment law, absence management, organisation design, performance management, etc.), in order to ensure a consistent and fair approach to people management.
- Provide strategic guidance to the organisation by assisting the general manager with the development and implementation of key projects
- Ensure Company UK manages its people appropriately to adopt best practice and comply with employment legislation, mitigating any risks to the business
- Manage talent processes; taking overall responsibility for talent attraction, recruitment activity and campaigns, development and retention
- Lead on all aspects of employee relations, including absence management, disciplinaries, grievances, TUPEs etc.
- Work closely with the general manager to manage the annual bonus scheme and salary review process from start to finish.
- In conjunction with the finance team and business units, prepare labour, recruitment and training budgets and monitor progress throughout the year. This includes input to the annual budget planning
- In consultation with managers, follow up individual development needs and manage the sourcing of external training provisions for the workforce, as and when required.
- Ensure that all HR records are kept up to date and can support the production of monthly HR metrics.
- Produce a monthly report to the general manager outlining current priorities, recent achievements and key metrics.
- Ensure employee absenteeism is monitored and appropriate action taken with any long-term absences, liaising with third party medical practitioners and Occupational Health providers when necessary.
- Consult with Trade Unions/representatives on all relevant issues
- Work with the general manager to develop succession plans to ensure that those employees considered to be high potential are retained and developed.
- Work with the SHEQ Manager to drive behavioural safety and address any health and safety issues relating to the workforce.
- Attend internal and external meetings and provide a useful contribution on how to drive forward the business
- Developing and delivering leadership and skills development programmes as required.
Leadership & Management:
- Provide inspirational leadership and direction to the UK human resource team; overseeing the team on a day to day basis, ensuring roles and goals are clearly defined.
- Manage the performance of the UK HR team, ensuring timely and relevant 1:1s and supporting the overall training and development of the team.
- Implement a range of team communication tools that foster team collaboration and enhance productivity.
- Plan and conduct HR meetings that inform and motivate the HR team through cascading information from management meetings, sharing best practice, problem-solving and confronting any poor performance head-on.
- Deliver exceptional customer service through the regional HR team to ensure customer satisfaction
- Explore and pursue opportunities to continue to grow both personally and professionally
- Adhere to and support the implementation of company processes and procedures
- Strictly adhere to the Company’s Health and Safety Procedures and ensure a safe working environment for self and others.
- Maintain a positive and professional image of the Company, including wearing the correct branded wear, as required.
- Contribute to continuous improvement processes and drive forward efficiency and standardisation.
Experience and qualifications required
- Graduate with CIPD Level 7 or above
- Experience leading an HR team/function that supports a multi-site business
- Experience of driving organisation-wide transformation/change projects
- Experience dealing with generalist HR issues, including employee relations, recruitment, redundancies, TUPE, employee benefits etc.
- Excellent working knowledge of employment law
- Good working knowledge of HR systems
- Proficient experience of using MS Office, especially Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of project management methodology
- Graduate calibre
- Experience working within the construction, engineering or facilities management sectors
- Experience managing overseas assignments
- Experience of working with trade unions
- Personal characteristics required
- Assertive and confident approach
- Innovative with great problem-solving ability
- Confident and able to challenge the status quo effectively
- Excellent skills in managing deadlines and priorities.
- A professional and commercial approach
- Calm and positive manner and able to act as a role model for others.
- Communicates effectively at all levels internally and externally.
- Approachable with the desire to go the extra mile with internal customers
- Excellent negotiating skills when dealing with agencies and other providers.
Benefits of the HR Manager role include:
- Private Healthcare
- Life Assurance x 2
- 25 days holidays
How to apply for the HR Manager role:
To discuss the HR Manager role in more depth please contact Rosie Jenkins at HR Heads by emailing your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)7552 244 230. Enquiries are all handled confidentially.